Bremen Senator for Children and Education
The Bremen Senator for Children and Education takes care of the IT for 156 schools in the city state with approx. 77,500 IT users (pupils, teachers and school staff) and 10,000 client systems.
- Centralised administration of educational IT infrastructures of the schools in the city.
- Cross-school, centralised provision of IT services such as e-mail, Internet, Intranet and the integration of different end devices such as the pupils’ smartphones and tablets.
- Easy-to-use software solution for teachers for controlling IT and the pupils’ computers in the classrooms.
Univention Corporate Server (UCS) with Samba 4 and UCS@school 3.2R2
Bundeszentrale für politische Bildung
The SyS-C team of the city of Chemnitz maintains the IT of 80 schools in Chemnitz with about 30,000 users and about 5,000 end devices. Besides Microsoft Windows, also Linux operating systems are installed on these devices.
- Active Directory compatible domain services for group policies and domain integration of new Microsoft Windows operating systems
- Deployment of an open source solution if possible
- Co-existence of Windows and Linux operating systems in schools via a uniform user directory
- Central software distribution with depot server function at the schools
- Graphic interfaces for computer room management
- Easy extension of the solution with central IT services for mobile end devices such as tablets, e.g., data exchange services
- Fully automated user management
Univention corporate Server (UCS) with integrated Samba 4 and UCS@school as well as the software distribution tool opsi by uib GmbH.
Educational center PZ.BS, ICT Medien
Maintaining 60 school sites with 25,000 pupils and 2,500 teachers and about 3,000 PCs and notebooks.
- Central solution for the about 60 school sites with minimal overhead for the schools themselves
- Connection to Windows Active Directory via Univention AD Connection
- Extensive interface for the complete and automatic import of accounts from pupils and teachers
- Single sign-on and site-independent access to services via the Internet
- Integration of further services such as LDAP, mail and web mail, eduBS-Cloud (ownCloud), Plone (eduBS-education server), school websites), eduBS-ILIAS, SoLe
- Connection of Windows Active Directory via Univention AD Connection for the provision of virtual desktops based on Citrix.
Since 2010 UCS@school is used on 13 servers and 13 further, connected virtualized UCS servers as the central identity and access management system for the provision of file sharing, groupware services and virtual desktops based on Citrix.
The objective of a pilot project of the city of Hanover, encompassing six schools and 5,500 users, is to create modernized IT groundworks and an infrastructure for the digitization of Hanover’s education system. The pilot project, which is scheduled to run until 2018, works on the implementation of a centralized IT infrastructure management, among other things.
Univention Corporate Server (UCS) with UCS@school provides a central access and authorization management for the connected schools and web services. Automatic import mechanisms ensure the synchronization of the data of users, schools and classes. The connection of the Active Directory is made by the AD Connector contained in UCS@school.
City of Aachen
City of Aachen, 37 primary schools, about 7,500 pupils as users, 11,800 workplaces in education and administration
- Standardization of the IT infrastructures
- Efficient operation with minimal efforts on-site at the schools
- Educational functions for teachers
- Virtualization of all servers
UCS@school as the central identity and access management system combined with virtualized UCS@school school servers in the data center. Windows clients in those schools with a stable connection to the data center. The city of Aachen is supported by our partner regio it.
Connexionpoint is one of the leading business process outsourcing providers in the USA, with a special focus on health issuance solutions.
- Support for Windows and Linux Mint Clients
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act compliant solution
- Support for multiple locations
- Ease of Management of over 2500 users
UCS is the platform of choice for managing end user systems configurations and identities across Windows and Linux Mint Clients as well as managing the identities and passwords within the connected Services used by the Agents. UCS is the deployed as the leading identity provider across all Call Centers.
Diakonie Eine Welt, Austria
The Austrian deaconry Eine Welt
- Replacement of the unsufficient management console
- Central management of the devices and their users
- Central identity management in order to easier integrate different services.
Univention Corporate Server: As this infrastructure solution allows the integration of Windows domains on the one hand and because UCS offers the desired Open Source base with a German-speaking community on the other. Last but not least, Univention also has an Austrian service partner in Siedl Networks.
The Austrian company Eberspächer Tageslichttechnik with several sites and over 70 employees, many of whom work in field sales.
- Sustainable IT infrastructure which is also equipped to deal with future requirements
- Standardised identity management
- Groupware solution, with which employees can continue to work with Microsoft Outlook clients
- An in-house cloud solution
Univention Corporate Server (UCS) incl. Samba 4 and groupware Zarafa
Federal office for Radiation Protection
A federal office with 750 employees, 9 locations and 950 workstations with conventional office software and specialist applications.
- Easy administration and great flexibility at the same time
- Consistent adminsitration of decentralised it infrastructures
- Georedundancy and high availability of all services
- Comprehensive support of all Microsoft Windows workstations and specialist applications
UCS incl. Samba 4.
Georg Müller School
German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence
Research institute with 800 employees at 6 sites located across Germany currently working on over 180 different research projects.
- New operating system allowing central administration of all resources
- Takeover of all users and rights
- Complete migration of entire 15-year e-mail archive
- Problem-free communication among staff
- Simple options for updating the system
Set-up of four virtual servers with vSphere (VMware),UCS for central identity management and IT infrastructure management, Active Directory Connector for synchronisation of all existing directory services, Open-Xchange as new e-mail and groupware solution and Oxtender for mobile device access.
The media center maintains 72 schools in the district of Kassel with about 25,000 pupils. It also manages the use of around 6,000 end devices.
- Central administration of the school IT in spite of the wide-spread area structure
- Functional IT despite partially poor Internet connection at schools in rural areas
- Centralized provision of services from the data center Hofgeismar, combined with local school servers
Full extension of UCS@school with central services and school servers.
Partial use of UCS@school administration servers in networks which are separated from the educational network.
Founded in 1999, KiKxxl is a communication server provider with its headquarters in Osnabrück and which operates call centres in Bochum, Bremen and Dortmund. The company boasts 1,600 employees and 1,450 computer-based workplaces.
- Automation of granting of user rights
- Reduction of administration efforts for user and group administration
Univention Corporate Server (UCS, Version 3.2) runs on one master, four slave and nine backup servers. Migration to UCS 4.0 is planned for 2015.
Over 550 Baden-Württemberg schools, whose school networks and IT services for lessons are supported by the LMZ.
- Flexible firewall solution for expanded network infrastructures
- Multi-server operation and multi-school capability
- Support of current Windows desktops in the schools
- Control options for teachers such as screen monitoring and transfer or automatic distribution and collection of student data
- Integration of student smartphones
The new version of paedML Linux 6.0, which is based on UCS@school and the Open Source server operating system Univention Corporate Server.
Lux Bau GmbH
Lux Bau GmbH in Hainfeld (Austria) with 120 employees at 3 sites
- Conversion of the existing Windows server and conversion of Cyrus mail server
- Sustainable IT infrastructure, which is also equipped for future requirements with its standardised identity management
- New groupware solution, with which employees can still continue to work with Microsoft Outlook Clients
Conversion of the existing Windows server to Univention Corporate Server and conversion of Cyrus mail server to Zarafa
Molitor Zahntechnik, Berlin
Molitor Zahntechnik (Dental laboratory technology company) in Berlin
- Complete overhaul of the IT for a modern, low-maintenance IT environment protected against viruses.
- Use of the familiar, Microsoft Windows-based specialist applications
- Integration of Mac workstations
- Scalability of the new IT environment so as to be able to mount additional sites by means of a private cloud in the future if and as required
Univention Corporate Server (UCS) on server hardware from Thomas-Krenn.
Nuhr Medical Center
Nuhr Medical Center in Senftenberg.
- Complete upgrade of the IT system
- IT as the basis for maintaining and further developing the high medical standard
- Improvement of the IT services for patients
- Secure connection of mobile devices
UCS on two Fujitsu Primergy servers including Zarafa groupware and Microsoft Outlook as the client together with a Kaspersky Lab security solution, SEP Seam back-up and restore solution and new patient management software.
Oldenburgische Landesbank (regional bank)
The Oldenburgische Landesbank (OLB) is the leading regional bank in the Weser-Ems region. With around 170 branches and 2150 employees, the universal bank offers the entire range of services for private and commercial customers.
- Management of a heterogeneous IT infrastructure consisting of Windows clients, Windows servers, terminal servers, Unix servers, and Oracle database servers.
- Provision of a redundant virtualization infrastructure in the data center
- Centralized authentication and user administration for employees at headquarters and at the around 170 branch offices
- Central UCS domain for user management and authentication on various internal services
- Decentralized UCS servers in the branches as print and file servers
- UCS-KVM with UVMM in the data center as a virtualization platform
- Top-down synchronization of the login data of a UCS domain into 4 additional, independent domains
- Bidirectional synchronization of UCS and Active Directory Domain (AD Connector)
- UCS as a platform for various web and software applications within the bank
POWER Personen-Objekt-WERkschutz GmbH
Security service provider POWER PERSONEN-OBJEKT-WERKSCHUTZ GMBH with 1,000 employers and 10 subsidiaries located throughout Germany
- Cost-effective solution also offering high security and stability
- Greater use of server virtualization
- No interruption or restriction of productive operation during migration
- Simple connection of 10 subsidiaries
UCS and UVMM (KVM)
regio iT: ucloud@school
ucloud@school is the secure and data protection compliant cloud offering for schools and school authorities by regio iT which is already used by 100 schools in North Rhine-Westphalia.
- Multi-client capability during operation
- Self-management functions for the schools
- Single sign-on via Shibboleth/SAML
- Interfaces for the provision of user accounts and groups within the identity and access management
- High compatibility between UCS@school and services of other manufacturers
regio iT uses Univention Corporate Server and the integrated LDAP directory service as the identity and access management system for ucloud@school. It also offers connected file sharing and groupware services, which can be purchased in addition by schools and schools authorities.
Reisebüro Fahrenkrog Touristik & Business Travel GmbH & Co KG has eight branches in Schleswig-Holstein and Bremen with around 80 employees in total.
- An adaptable, open IT infrastructure at an acceptable cost
- UCS with two servers in Kiel and Bremen
- NAS with user profiles and file system in the other branches without servers
- Kopano groupware, Bareos backup, Nextcloud private cloud storage
SchwuZ Kulturveranstaltungs GmbH
The Berlin based cultural event company “SchwuZ Kulturveranstaltungs GmbH” is responsible for the IT infrastructure of their office as well as of the joined event center, called “SchwuZ”.
- Merging of the hitherto separate IT of the club and the headquarters
- Desire to have a simple, central administration of the complete IT resources such as servers desktops, tablets, VoIP phones, smartphones, cash systems, netzwork devices incl. DHCP and DNS zones.
- Central user administration across locations and collaboration software for sharing files, calendars, address books, chat and virtual meeting rooms.
- Univention Corporate Server (UCS) and Ubuntu
- Two new, identical Supermicro Silent Server by Thomas-Krenn
- KVM hypervisor, OpenVPN server and groupware Zimbra
- Ubuntu Desktop 16.04 LTS for all desktops, equipped with LibreOffice, rdesktop, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, etc.
SIKB | Saarländische Investitionskreditbank AG
The Saarländische Investitionskreditbank AG (SIKB) is the Saarland Regional Development Institute (Saarland).
- Central user administration including group guidelines
- Setup and operation of a sustainable and future-proof IT infrastructure with an integral identity management
- Easy connection of Windows and Linux clients
UCS as a domain controller in a master / slave environment with Samba 4 and integration of Open-Xchange as a groupware solution
Sport and school administration office of schools in Frankfurt (Oder)
- Number of schools: 15 schools (18 locations)
- Number of users (pupils/teachers/employees): about 7,000
- Clients/server systems: about 1,600/50
- Printer/interactive whiteboards: 160/120
- Centralised administration of educational IT infrastructures of the schools
- Cross-school, centralized provision of IT services such as e-mail, Internet, Intranet and the integration of different end devices such as the pupils’ smart phones and tablets
- Cross-school, centralized user management
- Centralized data backup
- Easy-to-use software solution for teachers for controlling IT and the pupils’ computers in the classrooms
- Preferred application of open source and free software
Univention Corporate Server 4.0-4 with Samba 4 and UCS@school 4.0 R2 v6
Master (hosted) / slave (for each location)
The media center Bremerhaven supports schools in the implementation of IT-based classes.
The aim here was to provide the 17,500 teachers and pupils in this town with an easy and safe access to the learning platform itslearning.
- Automatic, low-maintenance user administration for thousands of users
- Intuitive and easily manageable solution as no IT experts were available
- Fast integration of the learning platform itslearning
- Possibility to integrate further IT services such as email, Active Directory or WLAN authentication later on
- Central administration with the possibility to delegate certain single tasks to schools
- The continuous import of user data from different data bases allows consistent and up-to-date user accounts
UCS with UCS@school as the central identity and rights management for the learning platform itslearning. The integration of further IT services into UCS was planned for the future.
The school administration department of the city council of Cottbus is responsible for the IT infrastructure of its 25 municipal schools with a total of around 10,500 teachers and pupils.
- The set up of a central directory service
- The integration of school servers
- A central software distribution via opsi
- There are also plans to extend the WLAN infrastructure using Radius
UCS Standard Subscription Research & Education, UCS@school
University IT centres in Afghanistan rely on UCS
IT centers from 5 Afghan universities, supported by the German Center for International and Intercultural Communication (ZiiK) at the TU Berlin (Technical University).
- Extremely easy to use and maintain
- Open Source software to ensure know-how transfer
- Must be possible to maintain IT infrastructure autonomously
University of Vechta
Wick Machinery, a manufacturer of filling and closing machines with 15 employees and two sites in Austria.
- Modernisation of the Windows 2003 server
- Implementation of a central user and group management system
- New, cost-efficient mail client
- Secure external access to data and the ERP system
- Central security solution
Active Directory migration with AD Takeover function, UCS as new domain management system with central identity management. Use of the UCS-certified Open Source groupware solution Zarafa with Outlook. Integration of the UCS-certified backup solution SEP Sesam.