If your organization would like the benefits of easy sharing and collaboration on data online as offered by various cloud vendors but needs to stay in control, ensuring no unauthorized access, Nextcloud is what you are looking for.
Nextcloud offers a unique-in-the-industry fully open source solution for on-premise data handling and communication with an uncompromising focus on security and privacy.
Nextcloud brings together universal access to data with next-generation secure communication and collaboration capabilities under direct control of IT and integrated with existing compliant infrastructure. Nextcloud's open, modular architecture, emphasis on security and advanced federation capabilities enable modern enterprises to leverage their existing assets within and across the borders of their organization.
- Easy web UI and clients for Android, iOS, Windows, Mac and Linux
- Easy collaboration and sharing files internal and external with optionally enforcable password and expiration date
- Audio/video chat built in, optional collaborative office document editing, Outlook integration and more
- External storage support like Windows Network Drive, FTP, WebDAV, NFS and more
- Many passive and active security features like two-factor authentication, brute force protection and CSP 3.0 as well as an audit log
- Optionally server-side encryption (can be chosen per storage) and end-to-end, client-side encryption (can be chosen per folder by the user)
- Full admin control over sharing with File Access Control rules like "DOCX can only be downloaded from within local network" or execute actions if certain conditions are met (like a tag is set)
Compared to other private cloud solutions, Nextcloud offers stronger security measures, with two-factor authentication, brute force protection and many other security protections built in. It is fully open source and the most active file sync and share project being developed.
Nextcloud typically targets organizations from 50 to tens of millions of users in industries including education, government, legal and financial services and manufacturing. Download a case study of TU Berlin providing Nextcloud to its 22.000 users on this page.
Nextcloud is well integrated in UCS, offering easy installation. The automatic configuration includes:
- Administrator is automatically Nextcloud admin
- Users are enabled to access Nextcloud by default
- Users and Groups can be enabled/disabled in User & Group Settings
- User quota can be configured in User settings
- All User and Group benefits by Nextcloud LDAP Schema
- Web server fully configured and behind stock UCS web server acting as proxy and doing all TLS magic
Nextcloud Education Edition Appliance
The appliance is driven by the Nextcloud Education Edition. This configuration of Nextcloud ships and enables several applications that are typically used in educational environments like Universities. Those additional apps are:
- Zenodo : enables users to share and manage their research work using Zenodo.org data repository
- Dashboard: allows users to easily keep an eye on their uploaded files, recent emails, upcoming events, and more
- Circles: permits your users to create their own groups ("circles") of classmates or colleagues
- Group folders: offers admin configured folders shared by everyone in a group
- Announcement center: lets admin communicate service updates to users and groups on the instance
- Admin notifications: empowers admins to generate notifications for users via the console or an HTTP endpoint
- Quota warning: informs users when they reached 85, 90 and 95% of their quota
- ORCID: Displays the user's ORCID researcher ID
- SAML: facilitates integration into the organisation's Single-Sign-On solution