UCS@school was developed in close cooperation with the school authority of the state of Bremen to meet the special requirements of the education sector. It is used by numerous school authorities and state authorities. UCS@school enables you to centralize and standardize your school IT by centrally maintaining and administrating the identities and access rights of the users at the school authority and providing access to services from anywhere through an internet school portal. Via the interface or the integrated App Center, you can integrate additional services with connectors and manage them centrally. With UCS@school, federal states can set up a nationwide directory service, connect services such as for e-mails, and enable access to educational clouds.
For Public Administration and Educational Institutions Advantages of UCS@school at a Glance
Modular and Ready-to-use Complete Solution
UCS@school offers a number of important services such as user self services, password management, printer control, class test mode, WLAN control, computer room modules, mail server, and much more. You could also use the Univention App Center to integrate other solutions in UCS, such as mobile device management, learning management, file sync & sharing solutions, and online office programs. It also provides data protection-compliant connectors to Office 365, Apple School Manager or Google Education.
Central Concept – IT at the School Authority Relieves the Burden on Schools
The central provision of important IT services by the school authorities relieves schools from the burden of IT administration. Depending on the expansion of the Internet connection, only the necessary services remain in the school. All other services are managed centrally by the school authorities and made available via a school portal.
Statewide Directory Services, Data Imports and School Clouds
UCS@school is ideal for building nationwide directory services thanks to its scalability to hundreds of thousands of users. Via standardized interfaces, an automated connection for the user data can be implemented between the state directory service and the individual school authorities. Via the connection of services such as for mails, you can implement statewide services, for example, mail services for teachers or a state education cloud.
Professional Project Support
The implementation of large digitization projects in often extremely heterogeneous and historically grown school IT environments requires a high degree of project management competence and human resources. Both cannot or should not always be done completely alone by the school authority. Here our Professional Services Team offers support. In dozens of projects, our colleagues have met the most diverse requirements. They have acquired the necessary practical experience with regard to conditions for success, project planning, and IT architecture and infrastructure. They can thus effectively support those responsible on site.
Bremen Senator for Children and Education
The Bremen Senator for Children and Education takes care of the IT for 142 schools in the city state with approx. 80,000 IT users (pupils, teachers and school staff) and 10,500 client systems.
- Centralised administration of educational IT infrastructures of the schools in the city.
- Cross-school, centralised provision of IT services such as e-mail, Internet, Intranet and the integration of different end devices such as the pupils’ smartphones and tablets.
- Easy-to-use software solution for teachers for controlling IT and the pupils’ computers in the classrooms.
Univention Corporate Server (UCS) with Samba 4 and UCS@school 4.3 (August 2018)
Bundeszentrale für politische Bildung
The SyS-C team of the city of Chemnitz maintains the IT of 80 schools in Chemnitz with about 30,000 users and about 5,000 end devices. Besides Microsoft Windows, also Linux operating systems are installed on these devices.
- Active Directory compatible domain services for group policies and domain integration of new Microsoft Windows operating systems
- Deployment of an open source solution if possible
- Co-existence of Windows and Linux operating systems in schools via a uniform user directory
- Central software distribution with depot server function at the schools
- Graphic interfaces for computer room management
- Easy extension of the solution with central IT services for mobile end devices such as tablets, e.g., data exchange services
- Fully automated user management
Univention corporate Server (UCS) with integrated Samba 4 and UCS@school as well as the software distribution tool opsi by uib GmbH.
Educational center PZ.BS, ICT Medien
Maintaining 60 school sites with 25,000 pupils and 2,500 teachers and about 3,000 PCs and notebooks.
- Central solution for the about 60 school sites with minimal overhead for the schools themselves
- Connection to Windows Active Directory via Univention AD Connection
- Extensive interface for the complete and automatic import of accounts from pupils and teachers
- Single sign-on and site-independent access to services via the Internet
- Integration of further services such as LDAP, mail and web mail, eduBS-Cloud (ownCloud), Plone (eduBS-education server), school websites), eduBS-ILIAS, SoLe
- Connection of Windows Active Directory via Univention AD Connection for the provision of virtual desktops based on Citrix.
Since 2010 UCS@school is used on 13 servers and 13 further, connected virtualized UCS servers as the central identity and access management system for the provision of file sharing, groupware services and virtual desktops based on Citrix.
The objective of a pilot project of the city of Hanover, encompassing six schools and 5,500 users, is to create modernized IT groundworks and an infrastructure for the digitization of Hanover’s education system. The pilot project, which is scheduled to run until 2018, works on the implementation of a centralized IT infrastructure management, among other things.
Univention Corporate Server (UCS) with UCS@school provides a central access and authorization management for the connected schools and web services. Automatic import mechanisms ensure the synchronization of the data of users, schools and classes. The connection of the Active Directory is made by the AD Connector contained in UCS@school.
City of Aachen
City of Aachen, 37 primary schools, about 7,500 pupils as users, 11,800 workplaces in education and administration
- Standardization of the IT infrastructures
- Efficient operation with minimal efforts on-site at the schools
- Educational functions for teachers
- Virtualization of all servers
UCS@school as the central identity and access management system combined with virtualized UCS@school school servers in the data center. Windows clients in those schools with a stable connection to the data center. The city of Aachen is supported by our partner regio it.
City of Cologne
The School and Pre-Kindergarten IT Services department at the Data Processing Office in Cologne provides services for 261 schools with around 10,000 faculty members and 135,000 students in total with the support of NetCologne.
- Consultancy services, supply and strategic further development of the IT infrastructure in schools
- Commissioning, responsible operation, and support of the IT infrastructure
- Standardization and quality optimization
- User maintenance from the school administration software SchiLDZentral via LDAP
- Automated software distribution
- (Centralized) administration of entire IT infrastructure, for example:
- Different server environments in the schools
- Centrally provided services
- Support of bring-your-own-device models
- Operation of around 5,500 tablets financed by the education authority
- Provision of a student and teacher mail solution
- Learning management system, web spaces, and cloud services
A UCS-based identity management system managed centrally by the education authority with integration of the groupware Open-Xchange, the mobile device management software Jamf, the learning platform Moodle, and Office 365 via single sign-on
City of Wolfsburg
District-free city with 18,800 pupils at 37 schools
- The City of Wolfsburg intends to use the Wobila.de project to create a virtual learning space for the educational landscape in Wolfsburg. Within the framework of a pilot project at 6 schools, initially the central provision of WLAN and web services is to be tested.
- Univention Corporate Server (UCS) and UCS@school as Identity Management and Portal Solution for Student and Teacher Identities
- Connection of the school WLAN to UCS for Internet access at the schools
- Connection of the learning management system itslearning to UCS for the central administration of users in UCS
Georg Müller School
The media center maintains 72 schools in the district of Kassel with about 25,000 pupils. It also manages the use of around 6,000 end devices.
- Central administration of the school IT in spite of the wide-spread area structure
- Functional IT despite partially poor Internet connection at schools in rural areas
- Centralized provision of services from the data center Hofgeismar, combined with local school servers
Full extension of UCS@school with central services and school servers.
Partial use of UCS@school administration servers in networks which are separated from the educational network.
Over 550 Baden-Württemberg schools, whose school networks and IT services for lessons are supported by the LMZ.
- Flexible firewall solution for expanded network infrastructures
- Multi-server operation and multi-school capability
- Support of current Windows desktops in the schools
- Control options for teachers such as screen monitoring and transfer or automatic distribution and collection of student data
- Integration of student smartphones
The new version of paedML Linux 6.0, which is based on UCS@school and the Open Source server operating system Univention Corporate Server.
The Österreichische Bundesverlag (öbv), based in Vienna, is one of the largest and best-known educational publishers in Austria. Altogether it has 70 employees inside and outside the office.
- Flexible mail and groupware solution (e-mail, calendar, web meetings, chat, file storage)
- Communication tools for online meetings with external partners
- Access via desktop (Windows, macOS, Linux) and smartphones/tablets
- Improvement of overall performance and stability
- Central IT infrastructure with a central user administration
- Easy maintenance of the existing server landscape
Kopano as a replacement for MS Exchange and Outlook, can be used through browser and external apps (desktop and mobile devices). Univention Corporate Server as central identity management and IT infrastructure management.
regio iT: ucloud@school
ucloud@school is the secure and data protection compliant cloud offering for schools and school authorities by regio iT which is already used by 100 schools in North Rhine-Westphalia.
- Multi-client capability during operation
- Self-management functions for the schools
- Single sign-on via Shibboleth/SAML
- Interfaces for the provision of user accounts and groups within the identity and access management
- High compatibility between UCS@school and services of other manufacturers
regio iT uses Univention Corporate Server and the integrated LDAP directory service as the identity and access management system for ucloud@school. It also offers connected file sharing and groupware services, which can be purchased in addition by schools and schools authorities.
The media center Bremerhaven supports schools in the implementation of IT-based classes.
The aim here was to provide the 17,500 teachers and pupils in this town with an easy and safe access to the learning platform itslearning.
- Automatic, low-maintenance user administration for thousands of users
- Intuitive and easily manageable solution as no IT experts were available
- Fast integration of the learning platform itslearning
- Possibility to integrate further IT services such as email, Active Directory or WLAN authentication later on
- Central administration with the possibility to delegate certain single tasks to schools
- The continuous import of user data from different data bases allows consistent and up-to-date user accounts
UCS with UCS@school as the central identity and rights management for the learning platform itslearning. The integration of further IT services into UCS was planned for the future.
The school administration department of the city council of Cottbus is responsible for the IT infrastructure of its 25 municipal schools with a total of around 10,500 teachers and pupils.
- The set up of a central directory service
- The integration of school servers
- A central software distribution via opsi
- There are also plans to extend the WLAN infrastructure using Radius
UCS Standard Subscription Research & Education, UCS@school