The Univention Portal is the central hub via which users access a Univention system. It is where you can find links to installed applications like webmail. In addition, administrators also have the option of including their own links to external websites. Last, but by no means least, there is also a module here with which users can change their own password.
Univention supports personalization of the portal’s start page – in the best-case scenario, this not only ensures compliance with your corporate identity, but also allows users to identify better with Univention. For example, it is possible to place a number of different applications on the start page, permitting users direct access to them. Yet another option is even more evident immediately: In just a few steps, the portal can be customized with a large-scale background image and a portal logo. Domain administrators can perform this step quickly and with minimal effort.
File format and sizes
Ideally, png, gif, or jpeg files compressed for the web should be used for both the portal logo and the background. The file size should not be too large so as to avoid long loading times for the users when opening the website. With regard to the format, we recommend using a standard screen resolution like the 1920 x 1080 pixel format for the background. The portal logo will be scaled down automatically and thus should not be that large. Sizes of around 256 x 256 pixels are suitable. Logos which are square or horizontal are suitable; vertical images are less recommended.
Your personalized portal background in just 6 steps
1. Log on to the Univention Management Console as the administrator.
2. Click the Domain button in the menu and then select the LDAP directory item with another click.
3. Click on the arrow icon > in front of univention in the directory tree. The corresponding subitems are now displayed. Click on the portal item.
4. Click on the lowest item domain on the right-hand side in the container menu.
5. The portal logo and background image can be selected and uploaded using the New image button in the Appearance section.
6. Click on the Save button in the top right-hand corner to confirm your selection.
The changes will be adopted the next time the website is loaded. The end result can be seen in the header pic on top of this article.
I hope you liked my little tutorial on giving the Univention portal your personal touch.